Awesome Foursome Martinis
A reader told me the Foursome needed their own martini, and of course she was right. So for the months of June and July 2007, I ran a contest asking people to send me martini recipes.
Working with two groups of volunteer tasters (such a tough job they volunteered for!), we short-listed eight recipes then held two tastings:
• Victoria, BC – at Il Terrazzo restaurant in the heart of downtown. This is a gorgeous Italian restaurant with a classic interior and a beautiful outside patio. Bartender Matt set us up at the bar and proceeded to collect 64 tiny glasses. Each of the eight of us got eight lovely mini-martinis to taste, while we snacked on wonderful antipasti. Thanks so much to Matt, the restaurant management and the staff who took such good care of us.
• Vancouver, BC – at Delilah’s restaurant in my beloved West End. Voted the best place for martinis in Vancouver, where else could we possibly go? Bartender Monte served us fabulous martinis in giant glasses, which we passed around (and around!), each of us using our own color-coded straws. We also sampled Delilah’s great Pacific Northwest fare. Thanks to Monte and generous owner Michael for treating us so well.
The winners are:
1. First place went to the Birth of Venus martini sent by Jenni Conner. Jenni won herself an advance reading copy of Touch Me and a goody bag full of sensual treasures such as “Kiss Me” chocolates, massage lotion, Zen Garden bath goodies, scented candles and a “52 Weeks of Romance” game.
2. Second was the Fruity Martini submitted by Gail Hurt. Gail won an advance reading copy of Touch Me.
3. Third place went to the Pucker Me Passionate martini sent by Merilee Larson. She also won an advance reading copy of Touch Me.
The Winning Recipes!
Sensual, like Botticelli’s painting of the same name, this turquoise martini is a pleasure to look at as well as to drink.
2 oz. Vodka
Combine vodka, liqueurs and juice in mixing glass. Add ice and stir to chill. Strain into martini glass, top with champagne and stir gently.
Sweet, but with a kick – perfect for summer.
2 oz. Vodka
Combine ingredients in mixing glass. Add ice, stir to chill and strain into martini glass.
Pink, pretty and a great combination of sweet and tangy.
1.5 oz Absolut Ruby Red
Shake over ice and garnish with a slice of mango (because limes just don’t say passion).